Thursday 15 April 2010

notorious, agnes of god and blackball



Another finish at 7.30am today, so I have had the place to myself and did my usual crap (literally), reading, listening to music and podcasts, and watching films. Once again, the films were of varying quality and all were completely different from one another.
I will get Blackball (2003) out of the way first. It stars Paul Kaye and Johnny Vegas (who I usually really like, even in the Sex Lives of the Potato Men), as a couple of scumbags taking on the establishment (maaannnn). The reason for this is Paul Kaye plays someone who is in love with, and brilliant at, bowls. Therefore lots of stuck up blazer wearing stereotypes being offended by the young upstart, who of course, manages to also fall in love with the chairmans daughter (no one saw that bit coming). I managed about 40 minutes before I got really tired of it and switched off, crap dialogue, bad acting and no laughs. Who decides this rubbish should be made? Sadly, I would not be surprised if a lot of people like it, although I would despair if that was the case.

Agnes of God (1985) has Meg Tilly playing Agnes, a nun who supposedly has a miracle birth and then kills her baby. It is from the play by John Pielmeir and also stars Jane Fonda and Anne Bancroft. There was a similar case in real life which is where John Pielmeir probably got his inspiration from, where a nun gave birth and killed her baby (in 1977?), and said she could not remember giving birth. Police however, found that she had been out of the convent on a trip approx nine months before, but in the film, a secret tunnel is discovered. It was pretty dated in its look (and clothes!), but well worth watching. Lots of questions about faith and miracles, although I am probably bigging it up too much now.

Notorious (1946) I didn't enjoy that much. Considering it is an Alfred Hitchcock film, the main bit of suspense was whether Cary Grant would end up with Ingrid Bergman, instead of Claude Rains (of course he did). There was a plot involving Nazis and a key to the wine cellar, but nothing as good as Dial M for Murder. The Grant/Bergman love story was like an episode of Friends, where Ross and Rachel keep prating about and not expressing how they really feel for each other, creating problems and misunderstandings. Bah! Still a pleasant enough morning/afternoon, followed by a long bath and a read of my Manchester United fanzine (United We Stand - highly recommended).

Now if I could just stop pooing and collapsing..............my poor arse and head.
toodle pip

No comments: