Sunday 3 October 2010

sunderland game




After the Friday night of madness with the FPO and her family, l was keen to go to the Manchester United vs Sunderland game on Saturday (back to old school, 3 pm kick off). Everyone was already booked up with weddings, guests coming round etc, so I picked up the car from the garage (new clutch) and drove straight there by myself. The FPO was worried about me being gobby and getting in trouble, but it was fine, and as l said to her, l was happy going by myself as it was easier getting a ticket for one, rather than two tickets together. Wow, long sentence. Still managed to get myself a parking ticket, as l parked just in front of the Sunderland supporters pub (illegally) and strolled in to get a pint. I did think l might get a ticket, so it was no great surprise when l did get one (£35 if paid within 14 days). Just a shame Manchester United played so badly and it was a 0-0 draw, which happens very rarely for the boys nowadays. The FPO was out with her girlie mates when l got back, so it was a night of bliss, having a bath, watching the footie and entertaining myself on the computer (ooeer). She did phone and ask if l wanted to come to the party, but l was happy watching Match of the Day in my undies, and couldn't be bothered moving away from Nozzer, who was next to me, getting stroked (and that's not all). I still don't like the games as much as l did in the early years of supporting United, but it is still great to see the matches live. Saying that, it is also way too expensive now, (£34 on Saturday). I do think it has now reached the tipping point (yes, well done Malcom Gladwell), as there are lots of games that do not sell out now. It has certainly moved away from the game of the kids and the working classes, but apparently, we are all middle class now. As Frankie* would say ... 'HA!'

*Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Born to Run

toodle pip


No comments: