Saturday 11 June 2011

reading festival 1977










My first ever festival. I hitch hiked from Catterick (North Yorkshire), to Watlington (in Oxfordshire), and got a taxi to Robin Collins, my mate's house in Lewknor. We then got a bus to the festival (if l remember correctly).
It had been raining a lot the week before, and the site was mighty muddy and pretty damn wet. It didn't improve over the weekend, and in the end, you just have to resign yourself to the fact you are going to have to put up with it. Character building stuff, no wonder l am soooo hard.
Highlights for me were Aerosmith, Eddie and the Hot Rods, The Sensational Alex Harvey band, Thin Lizzy and Lone Star. I took a tape recorder with me and managed to get a semi decent recording of Aerosmith, but most of the recordings were rubbish, as it was an old piano key control one that l just lifted in the air.
God knows how l managed to hitch back Oop North afterwards, but l obviously did so, as l am here to tell the tale (although it has not taken me 34 years, l was back on the Monday afterwards (l think).
I must have enjoyed it though, despite the conditions, as, (like the idiotic gullible fool l am), l returned the following year, when the weather was (thankfully) a lot better..
Happy days.

toodle pip

No comments: