Wednesday 20 April 2011

cemetery junction


By Jimminy Jesus, l have just watched a really crap film that l had high hopes for. Cemetery Junction (an a actual place in Reading) is about 3 young whipper snappers coming to age in 1973 Reading, one trying to better himself, one violent, and one an idiot. Sounds like me and my mates 12 miles away at RAF Benson at the same time, only we were not so stereo typically shit as characters. The best scenes were in the kitchen of Ricky Gervais (OK, his character, l assume based on his father), arguing and making asides with his family. Top stuff. The rest of the film was so mind blowingly predictable and unbelievable it was annoying. Some of the music choices were top notch (Life's a Gas) but fucking Brotherhood of Mans 'Save all your kisses for me' crap was not a Eurovision winner until 1976 and was not even started as a song until 1974. Anyone who knows me understands how angry this sort of re- writing of musical history of songs makes me (and l mean angry - proper Hulk style angry). Luckily, there was so much other crap in the film that annoyed me, l did not end up killing the cat/rabbit or FPO. I hate not liking this sort of stuff though, as l am a scumbag from the same era, and l love Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchants stuff (especially the radio shows). I feel like l am letting one of my own down, but when something is crap, it's crap.

toodle pip

2 comments:

david.moule said...

Just watched this on Blu-Ray and went straight to the computer and entered "cemetary Junction + crap" to see if anyone else thought the same way I did. You're so right about stereo types and predictability, I was aching for it to get better, I hung on in there, but alas.....

Anonymous said...

Just watched this on Blu-Ray and went straight to the computer and entered "cemetery Junction + crap" to see if anyone else thought the same way I did.
You're so right about stereotypes and predictability. I was aching for it to get better, I hung on in there, but alas.....just another grim British film about grim lives with the added bonus of the grim seventies. Crap crap crapidy crap!