Monday 23 August 2010

the busby stoop


When I was out and about at work the other day, I had to go to Thirsk to pick someone up. On the way there, I called in at the Busby Stoop, the first time I have ever stopped there, although I have driven past it plenty of times.
It is a famous pub in Ghost hunting circles, as it had a chair in it that was an old customers favourite, and when he died, it resulted in bad luck to anyone who sat on it.
The tale goes that some soldiers from Catterick didn't believe the tale, sat on the chair for a dare, and then crashed their car on the way back to Catterick and died (if true, it probably had nothing to do with the beer they would have drunk while in the pub, I'm sure).
The chair is featured on the pub sign, and people travel to the pub because of the tales, but it is actually not there anymore, and hasn't been for some time. It is now housed in Thirsk museum, which I think is a bit crap, as it should still be in the pub. It could always be put up out of the way, I do think it was attached to the wall at one stage, but it could surely be put in a place that made it impossible for people to sit on it. Don't get me wrong, I think the tale is a load of hookum, but if true, let people sit on it and take their chances. I certainly would, just to disprove the ghostly tale, but I also guess that is why they do not want it in the pub.
Softies.

toodle pip

No comments: