Saturday 10 July 2010

guantanamera

When I was at work a week or so ago I heard 'Guantanamera' by the Sandpipers on the radio late at night. I had forgotten what a great peaceful song it is, so I have since downloaded it, and have been brushing up with my Spanish by singing along (much to the FPO's pleasure).
Lyrics below!

toodle pip


Spanish languageEnglish language

Yo soy un hombre sincero
De donde crece la palma
Y antes de morirme quiero
Echar mis versos del alma
Guantanamera, guajira, Guantanamera

I am an honest man
From where the palm tree grows
And before dying I want
To share the verses of my soul.

Mi verso es de un verde claro
Y de un carmín encendido
Mi verso es de un ciervo herido
Que busca en el monte amparo
Guantanamera, guajira, Guantanamera

My verse is a clear green
And it is flaming crimson
My verse is a wounded deer
Who seeks refuge in the woods.

This third verse of "Versos Sencillos" is usually not part of the song

Cultivo una rosa blanca
En julio como en enero
Para el amigo sincero
Que me da su mano franca
Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

I cultivate a white rose
In July as in January
For the sincere friend
Who gives me his honest hand.

This fourth verse is translated during the song as sung by Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie[3]

Y para el cruel que me arranca
El corazón con que vivo
Cardo ni ortiga cultivo
Cultivo la rosa blanca
Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

And for the cruel one
who would tear out this heart with which I live
I do not cultivate nettles nor thistles
I cultivate a white rose

Final verse of song, as published:

Con los pobres de la tierra
Quiero yo mi suerte echar
El arroyo de la sierra
Me complace más que el mar
Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

With the poor people of the earth
I want to cast my luck
The brook of the mountains
Gives me more pleasure than the sea

No comments: