Wednesday 9 June 2010

the boy in the striped pajamas, how vietnam was lost and the world cup 2002



I had to drag myself out of bed this morning as I got picked up at 8.45am to go to a discharge meeting at Harrogate hospital, but it has been quite a pleasant day since then. The weather is still crap, and it has been pissing down all week, which means I can't go out and cut the grass yet. The downside of this is the grass is getting longer and I will have to cut it at some stage. The good side of this is I was back at home about 1pm and had nothing much to do (nothing l couldn't put off anyway). This resulted in me lazing around as usual, watching films and reading. Back to work tomorrow, and the person who is being discharged will be coming to spend his first night there, so I am staying overnight to try to help him settle. Also volunteered to come back in at 9pm on Friday night and stay the night again. I must have lost my marbles.Anyway, back to the lazing around....

The documentary of the 2002 World Cup was the official FIFA film, so it was a bit bland, but did show some good footage that l had not seen before. It's the year England were knocked out by Brazil, with David Seaman waving at the ball as a free kick goes sailing past him. Brazil went on to beat Germany in the final 2-0, and suddenly Sven was not considered much of a manager.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (based on the John Boyne book) was alright, although l didn't believe the little Jewish boy could spend so long sitting by the fence and chatting when he was meant to be working (he had a wheelbarrow with him most of the time). Hardly any guards about either. Very suspicious. I did enjoy David Thewlis' performance, and Asa Butterfield (as Bruno, the eight year old German) was pretty good as well. Still not keen on people talking in their usual posh English accents when playing Germans though. I don't expect them to speak like a comedy baddie, but at least David Thewlis made an effort and didn't sound out of place.

How Vietnam was lost was a Storyville documentary based on the book by David Maraniss (They marched into sunlight), relating the tales of student unrest at Wisconsin which led to them being beaten by the 'pigs' and the US troops who were ambushed by the Viet Cong, both in October 1967. It was pretty moving and told both sides of the stories, and how they changed peoples perception of the war, especially how events were reported.

Also found out about the large amount of plastic that is floating around in the Pacific Trash Vortex (it was mentioned on QI). I have since looked it up and it is pretty grim. Thankfully I won't be around to watch the planet completely go to the dogs. One of the benefits of being old (there aren't that many!).

toodle pip

No comments: