Thursday 20 May 2010

three nights in hospital







I have just finished three nights at work supporting someone who had to go into hospital. This was OK for me and I volunteered to do it, as I usually stay up pretty late anyway, so it was not too much of a hardship, just a bit boring. I originally went into work on Monday at 3pm, to be informed someone had been taken in, so I said I would go, and ended up working non stop until 1pm the next day, then back to the hospital at 9pm for the next night shift. Rather idiotically , I did not go to bed when I got back home for my eight hours kip, deciding instead to stay awake and make the most of the days. I managed to grab about two hours sleep each day for the last three days, and probably won't get to bed early tonight (I finished work today at 9am). This means I have had about six hours sleep since Sunday, but I have managed to watch a lot of films, read and listen to a lot of stuff. On my return home today I even decided to go outside and try and sort the garden out, the first grass cut of the year, which is always a right bastard of a job. Spent about forty seven and a half hours of continuous hard work grass cutting, then put together a wood burner and a table. I was mighty glad to be hitting the bath after that, washing off the filth of hard manual labour, stuff I am not used to.
Anyway, the main point was about the hospital support. I was there for three nights and whenever I decided to stretch my legs and have a walk, I wandered round the hospital by myself, hardly seeing anyone, and never getting asked what I was up to. Very poor security. I look like a stinking hippie most of the time and I could have had anything in my bag, luckily I didn't have explosives, just ipods and books. I won't say which hospital it was as the care they gave to the person I was supporting was really good, so I don't want to get them into trouble, but it was weird wandering around the place.
No work now till 7pm Saturday, when I get picked up to support people on a trip to Rhodes for a week. Hurrah! Better than hospital support any day. More news about the trip later.

toodle pip

No comments: