Sunday 11 April 2010

the season has blown up

Manchester United's season is just getting worse game by game. Obviously a lot of people will be very chuffed by that fact but it's doing my head in. Finished work today and rushed back to watch the United v Blackburn game. I shouldn't have bothered (0 - 0). It is now going to take some kind of divine intervention for United to win the league, and I hold out no hope of that happening. it's even more galling watching Match of the Day 2 later on and seeing Tevez scoring another couple of goals, we really need someone to harry defenders and cause mischief in the opposition box. Sadly Rooney is injured and I have dodgy knees, so I don't know who is going to step up to that roll. Berbatov gets some stick, but he was probably our best player today, he is just not a man to lead the attack, he is better playing behind it. At the moment, there is no way I can see us overtaking Chelsea, who now look as though they will do the League and Cup double. I would try to live in hope, but I have non left.
On a related note, I have just watched Barcelona v Real Madrid (2 - 0 to Barcelona). Once again, Messi produced the goods and scored the first goal. There was a lot of hype beforehand that it would all be about Messi and Ronaldo, but to me, there is no contest. Messi has been the best player in the world for a while, but he plays more for the team. Much as I admire all Ronaldo did for United when he was there, he still came across as though he was playing for himself and for his own glory, rather than the teams. Messi is different. He goes on long dribbles and shoots when he gets the chance, but is always willing to pick out a team-mate if it is a better option. He is still only 22 (I think), and I hate to think how good he would be if he was taller and stronger. Probably a lot like me when I was younger. Ah, those where the days...
toodle pip

No comments: