Thursday 8 April 2010

bloody football (again)



I am still trying to get over the elimination last night against Bayern. I was not expecting a lot from the game, as I actually thought United would draw and be knocked out that way. After the start they had (3-0 up, then 3-1 at half time), I had changed my mind and believed they could do it (with some trepidation). Unfortunately, the goal just before half time for Bayern gave them hope, and Rafael getting sent off destroyed Uniteds hopes of punishing the Germans further. It is a real shame, as Rafael had been playing great, containing Ribery, and the Bayern players definitely influenced the referee to get him sent off for his second bookable offence. A really soft and stupid sending off, coupled with Rooney still not being fit, left United exposed to attacks, which eventually paid of for Bayern. It was a great strike by Robben, but with 11 men, I think he would have been picked up at the corner and United would have got another goal or two in the second half. Still, life goes on I suppose, but I can't see United winning all their remaining games in the League (with Chelsea dropping points), so the season is very nearly over. It reminds me of so many times in the 1970's and 1980's when United played really well and looked like they might win something, only to fuck it up at the end (usually with Liverpool winning the trophy). I thought those days had long gone. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
toodle pip

No comments: