Monday 11 January 2010

moses roper and aswad


I used to live daahhnn south, by Wallingford in Oxfordshire. I have just read about Moses Roper (c. 1815 – 15 April 1891), who got himself an education at Wallingford after coming to England.
He was a mulatto slave who wrote one of the major early books about life as a slave (Narrative of the Adventures and Escape of Moses Roper from American Slavery).It is a book I shall read soon, as the bits I have read are outrageous.
Also discovered Jerome K Jerome was buried in Ewelme, a small place nearby who I used to play football for. Damn!
Next time I am down there I shall visit his grave. Three men in a boat is one of my favorite books. Way ahead of its time and I have been to a lot of the places mentioned in it (before I read it).
History - It's great!
"Without a knowledge of history, you're like a vegetable in this society" Aswad (Live at the Counterculture revolution).
toodle pip

No comments: